Disneyland Traveler Blog Sites

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Introduction to Disney - From All SIdes




I love going to Disneyland.  My wife and I have made the trek down to Anaheim from our home near Sacramento 2 or 3 times a year, for the last several years, usually for about a week at a time. Occasionally we go down with the extended family and make it a big event (I forget, one year we had somewhere between 16 and 23 people in a 3 bedroom suite at the Disneyland Hotel). We enjoy seeing most Disney (or Pixar) movies by either going out to a local theater or at home with our collection of Disney DVD's and Blu-Ray discs. We have Disney collectible figurines in our china cabinet.  Disney posters adorn the walls of our home.  We have ears, hats, t-shirts, books, purses, pins, magnets, mugs, blankets, and a whole lot of other trinkets and memorabilia (aka: crap) that celebrate our sometimes irrational fan-dom of all things Disney.


Now, by nature, I do not consider myself a complainer.  My wife does a far better job of that than I do when push comes to shove.  To paraphrase from an episode of the "King of Queens" TV show - her family crest seems to be a picture of a shaking fist followed by the motto  "I want to speak to a manager!".  I'm not like that.  What she considers me to be is a generally to be a nice guy who but sometimes treads in the waters of negativity - looking for the bad even in the best surroundings .  I don't completely agree with that but I also know I'm standing on shaky ground if I try to convince her otherwise. What I am is an occasional cranky person, someone has who lived long enough and been beaten down by life enough times to know when someone (or a giant corporation like Disney) is trying to get the best of me.


Yeah......I love Disney but a lot of this blog will take a slightly different view, a view where the dreams, creativity, imagination, and genius of the company founded by Walt Disney intercedes with its current role as corporate media empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment