Disneyland Traveler Blog Sites

Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Look At Pirate's Lair On Tom Sawyer's Island


I don't remember much about the old Tom Sawyer's Island.  Haven't been there since I was a kid and that was a very long time ago (and seemingly in a galaxy far, far, away).  If I recall, it was a place where kids could run along the trails, dart into caves, and do what kids do - go nuts.  It probably gave their parents a few moments of some peace and quiet while their kids ran amok.


A few years ago (like maybe 5 years now?), with the huge popularity of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise, Disney remade the island of Tom and Huck into Pirate's Lair. Just for the heck of it, and it's been a couple of years ago now, Mrs. DisneylandTraveler and I along with our son (who was a teenager at the time) hopped aboard one of the rafts and checked out Pirate's Lair On Tom Sawyer's Island as it is officially known.  This was back when they actually had live performers doing sword fighting shows and of course, the guy below.


I have to say, in my visit, I was kind of impressed with the level of detail as we walked around the island, actually catching a glimpse of being on the inside of a Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  There were some nice photo opportunities and a fair share of interactive fun.  I didn't mind my time at all over at the Lair but it's also true, I have never been back since.  No desire.  Seen it once, kind of neat, check it off your Disneyland list, but not ever necessary to go back.


But now its time to take another look.  Granted, Pirate's Lair is for kids and an old kid like me has very little reason to be there, but at some time or other Disney has to wonder, how many others out there are like me - regular park visitors that never take the time or effort to visit one of their attractions.  And if attendance is falling off, and it is for Pirates Lair as evidenced by the withdrawal of all live character performers, is it time to think about morphing Pirate's Lair into some new theming opportunity?  Just like Pirates themselves, the Lair may have run it's course.

No comments:

Post a Comment