Disneyland Traveler Blog Sites

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Disneyland Dining - The Hungry Bear


Since this blog started a few months back, I have had to rethink my approach to certain topics a couple of different times.  That is what I am doing with the park restaurant reviews.  Over on the DCA side of things I've posted blog entries about Quick Service Dining and Table Service Dining where I compare one eating establishment with another. Well, I've come to see the limitations to that approach especially when it comes to Disneyland where there are just more dining options.  Disneyland has been changing and upgrading their  food offerings for the last couple of years but I have to admit, there are a few dining establishments in Disneyland I haven't been to in several years and in the case of one - the Pizza Port - never been to at all (kind of tucked out of the way I guess).  So with that in mind, I'll take a look at the restaurants individually rather than lump them together.

I'll start with the Hungry Bear Restaurant where we did enjoy a nice lunch on a trip a few months back.  This is one of the dining places in Disneyland that did undergo a brief refurbishment and came back with a new menu.  On trips to Disneyland in prior years our memories of the Hungry Bear have been OK - they served roast beef or turkey sandwiches on croissants which were really pretty good.  They also served up the standard Disney park burger which seemed to always be a poor choice in years past.  I also have a memory of dropping a tray of food on the ground - embarrassing.

On our most recent trip to the Hungry Bear, I tried out their new signature item which is the new fried green tomato sandwich with sweet potato fries (below), while Mrs. DisneylandTraveler went the safe route (again) and had the crispy chicken sandwich.  We decided to split an order of onion rings (can also be seen in the picture below).


I enjoyed the fried green tomato sandwich even though it seemed a bit skimpy on the fried green tomato part and a little heavy on the cole slaw topping. It would have been better if the two fried green tomato slices on the sandwich where a bit bigger and thicker. I do enjoy sweet potato fries, but it seems like after a few of them, the novelty seems to wear off.  I seldom finish all of them.  The Hungry Bear may be the only place in the park where you can get onion rings and while the order consisted of only four rings, they are absolutely huge.  If only the fried green tomatoes on the sandwich were this big.  As for Mrs. DLT, Disneyland chicken sandwiches of almost any kind are a good safe bet.  They are always pretty good even if you can't describe them as memorable.  The Hungry Bear also serves up a signature chili burger on their new menu but since chili is not one of those things I typically order in a restaurant, don't expect any future posts about my views on their chili burger - not happening.

The Hungry Bear has a large two story outdoor eating area and is tucked away up in Critter Country along the Rivers of America.  The setting is special.  Unless you are there during peak dining times, you can enjoy the peace and quiet of a very nice view of the water. There is also plenty of shade if you are looking for somewhere to eat and get out of the sun. The Hungry Bear also has one of the better bathroom facilities in the park, very large, clean, and well attended to.  In all, the Hungry Bear is one of my favorite dining places in Disneyland but it is tucked all the way to the rear of the park and not convenient unless you are heading to Splash Mountain or Winnie the Pooh.  Sometimes just the quietness (usually) of the place makes it worth the hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment