Disneyland Traveler Blog Sites

Saturday, February 18, 2012

"Slow Down, You Move Too Fast...."


"Slow down you move too fast. You got to make the morning last" so begins Paul Simon's 59th Street Bridge Song, a simple song of joy that reminds everyone to just stop a minute, take it easy a bit, and take a look around you where there are things to enjoy, things to look at.

A few years ago in Disneyland, and I remember it like it was yesterday, I was standing out in front of the Opera House when 2 teenagers came racing by me in full sprint with one saying to the other "We've got to get to Space Mountain".  I really felt kind of sad because between the Opera House and Space Mountain there are a multitude of things to enjoy, things to look at.  There is the old saying "the devil is in the details".  In Disneyland, the glory is in the details.  Those two kids are just missing out.  And besides, by the time they get to Space Mountain chances are the blasted thing will have broken down.  Planter boxes of flowers don't break down.

Earlier this week, Mrs. DisneylandTraveler was trying to bring together a plan (or hatch a scheme) that would get us to Disneyland for one day at the end of March.  One day.  We've been married almost 14 years and we have never been to Disneyland for a one day visit. Most of our visits a 4 days, 5 days, even 6 days. Plenty of time for us to take our time and enjoy the magical surroundings.  One day?  I have a friend that makes down to Disneyland about once a year for one day - I get exhausted just listening to him talk about how he and his wife make mad dashes from one place to the next.

I can't do that anymore.

Disneyland is not about rides or attractions.  It's about finding a way where I can become one with a park that has brought me so much joy.  Joy takes a bit of time, time to stop, time to take a look around, time to think.  One day.  I don't think so.  

Maybe its just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment