Disneyland Traveler Blog Sites

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Can Someone Explain Mr. Toad...


There's a lot of things in life I don't understand.  There's a lot of things in Disneyland I don't understand. Maybe I'm some kind of simpleton.  Anyway, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a Disneyland original dating back to 1955.  It's got a lot of history behind it, but few will remember the movie or stories that are behind its being there in the first place. So yes on history, but where is the charm?  A wild ride?  No, this is the adventure of a maniac so there's running from the cops, a dynamite explosion, a bartender juggling mugs of beers, assorted crashing, and finally ending up in hell (literally) as the ride ends.  Walt and his imagineers must have had a few when they came up with this idea.  Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom pulled the plug on it's Mr. Toad 10 or 12 years ago but the Disneyland version continues on.  Granted, the ride is really short at about 2 minutes so and there is little you can do with the space but still, try explaining Mr. Toad to your 5 year old.

Oh well, I think I get on old Toady about every 5 years or so then think to myself, "what did I do that for?"  At least its a ride, small it may be, and there is seldom a long wait so that is always a good thing.  But really, Mr Toad?

1 comment:

  1. One of the first times my parents took me to Disneyland I was about 5, I remember this ride the most. Sure itt was scary at that age, but it was my favorite. Today, it's a tradition to go on it. My mom still says it's her favorite. So I suppose it has served it's purpose.

    ReplyDelete