Disneyland Traveler Blog Sites

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Disneyland Logic:: "Don't Worry, You'll Walk It Off"

The "Duke": Test Menu Item - A MousePlanet.com Photograph
Two menu items appeared at Disneyland this past week almost guaranteed to send a cardiologist into a side to side head shake at best, or bring a tear to his eye at the worst. Man, I'd love to give them a try.

First up (and the real bad one), Disneyland is "testing" something called "The Duke" at Frontierland's Golden Horseshoe while they are experimenting with new things to do in that classic landmark venue (STOP IT! BILLY HILL AND THE HILLBILLIES SHOULD BE IT"S ONLY PURPOSE). Anyway, I digress, "The Duke" is a hot link polish sausage battered up and fried like a corn dog then smothered in nacho cheese sauce, jalapeno, onion, and bacon bits. It is served with a side of fries also smothered in the sauce. MousePlanet published the photo above this past week. What can you say? For someone like me this looks incredibly good and enticing. It is also probably the worst thing someone like me should eat if he wants to add some years on to a decreasing lifespan. Maybe I could split it with Mrs. DisneylandTraveler but I think if this thing packs any kind of heat level at all, she probably wouldn't be game. I know how to justify eating the calorie laden, artery clogging, heart attack inducing beast. Here's where the logic comes in. "In the course of a Disneyland day, I'll just walk it off." You do burn off some calories walking but the saturated fat clogging your arteries is a different matter altogether.

The Lobster Roll From The Harbor Galley
A Disney Parks Blog Photo

Here's the second menu item the peaked my interest this past week and is served at The Harbor Galley, a walk up counter service dining facility on the banks of Rivers of America in New Orleans Square. Disneyland has introduced  a lobster roll ( ! ? ). A good lobster roll back in their native New England tends to run about $20 and up. I can't see the Disneyland quite making it up to that price point so I have a tendency to believe, despite what's shown in the picture, you're going to get a lot of mayanoise and "filler" and lobster - not so much. Again, lobster is a healthy protein alternative, the addition of mayonaise is just the opposite. Oh well, let's start walking again.

I got my friend Mike on the case. He's on his way to Disneyland in 2 weeks. The lobster roll is filed away in his list of things to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment