Disneyland Traveler Blog Sites

Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Disneyland Nutmeg Halloween Rant #1



This is strictly personal, a quirk in my own personality. Those who see differently are free to do so because you are probably right and I'm something of a nut. Speaking of nuts - I do not like the spice nutmeg. Just something about it that rubs me the wrong way. For many, the first thing you think of when you think of nutmeg is pumpkin pie. In general, I do not like pumpkin pie and you can blame that on the nutmeg. A few pumpkin pies are tolerable but these are the rare pumpkin pies where the nutmeg used is put well into the background for taste and the pies are more custardy than pumpkiny (I'm making words up here - spellcheck is complaining).

So nutmeg reminds me of pumpkins. This time of year, Disneyland loves pumpkins and puts them literally everywhere - big ones, little ones, funny ones, scary ones - pumpkins, pumpkins everywhere. The place is awash in a sea of pumpkins and the color orange. Yep, the return of the pumpkins marks the beginning of Disneyland's Halloween season that will formally begin in about 6 days. Just like nutmeg and pumpkins, I don't like Halloween. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know I go through this every year. Again, it's personal. I don't remember going trick or treating past maybe the age of 6 or 7. My reasoning was simple. In my mind I equated trick or treating with begging for food. My family worked for a living - no begging - we earned everything put in our mouths. Silly reasoning? You bet. My parents had no problems passing out candy to little ones in the neighborhood. I just didn't want to be the person on the other side in a silly costume begging for candy.

Nutmeg, pumpkins, orange, Halloween.....they all kind of put an unsettling stamp on the year marking the end of spring and summer. Days grow shorter, the weather gets colder...blech... At Disneyland, they celebrate this time of year. Well, not really. It used to be one the slower times of year and a good time to make a trip if you liked your Disneyland activity on the quieter side. Then one day, some bean counters figured out that Disney could turn a pretty good profit on this Halloween nonsense. 



I know several families who are going to Disneyland this month eager to be bombarded by Halloween decorations from all angles. And you know what? Despite my whining and complaining, I am envious of each and every one of them who get to go.

Come on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm waiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment